Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Transition from Traditional to Modern

When I started thinking about my research paper, I knew I really wanted to do something that was relevant to Judaism. After reading my books about Jewish prayer, I became really interested in the music part of prayer and how it currently compares to the traditional style of worship and the original tunes people used to sing. After I started reading, I began to wonder what other sources could help me out and am excited to ask a good friend of mine some questions about the music of Jewish prayer. This person could also help me find out other reliable resources also well. My research paper is going to need some historical information to back up my evidence that tunes are changing and I plan on talking about the different branches that have broken away from more traditional aspects of this religion. I am excited to rewrite my thesis and make it more specific to the actual point I am trying to prove. 

1 comment:

  1. Chelsea,
    That's an interesting thing to focus on, the music of Jewish prayer. Is it going to be singing, or instrumental music? And if it's instrumental, what kinds of instruments were/are played. I think it would be interesting to search and see if there's any kind of instruments that are unique to Judaism and are traditional in their music (You may already know, but I'm not an expert on Judaism). How are you going to use that historical information in your paper? Are you going to connect the music that is played in that specific time period? Or maybe see how the music was influenced by the events that were taking place at the same time, I think that would be interesting to. I think that, since this is a humanities class, you should also take the time to connect how the music of the prayer really impacts the prayer, how the people react to the music and how it improves the prayer and the service as a whole.
    Good luck on the rest of your research project, I'll be very interested to see how it comes out!

    ReplyDelete