Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Dream Sourcebook

For my second book, I chose The Dream Sourcebook by Phyllis Koch-Sheras, Ph.D. and Amy Lemley. As I continue my research into the realm of dreams, archetypes, and interpretations that lead into ritual, I found this book very helpful. As I read along, it clarified and differentiated different psychologists’ and their views, along with their own interpretations of dreams. The book also went into describing different religions - including Christianity, Buddhism, and Islam - and their views on dreams and how they are read (if at all), as well as different cultural descriptions and beliefs in what dreams are. One of the Indian tribes it mentioned was the Australian Aborigines and their ideas into what dreams are and their whole idea of Dreamtime - the place where the creators resign.

Along with mentioning different Indian tribes, religious views, and ancient cultures, the book went into detail about the history of dreams and how the concept spans across time - since humans roamed the earth, essentially. For example, the book labels the ancient Mesopotamians and how they believed dreams were messages from the gods and how these “messages” were written down and documented in dream journals. What makes the mesopotamians so unique is that they not only recounted the dream, but also noted background information about the dreamer, where and when the dreamer dreamed the dream, how the dreamer felt about the dream, and what his or her interpretation of it was. Dreams are not meant to be interpreted by just professionals or spiritualists, the most important interpretation if by the dreamer, him- or herself (as noted by Mohammad).

By reading through this book, I have a greater understanding of where I want to go with my topic. I want to begin by exploring the furthered ideas of Carl Jung’s archetypal symbols and their meanings, and how they eventually - conscious or unconsciously - play into rituals practiced by the different cultures around the world. I want to explore the philosophies of the different peoples around the world and their view on dreams and how they practice rituals and by doing so, I want to see if I can notice the archetypes of Carl Jung and his ideas of symbols are cultural universals. I also want to see how they play roles into the personalities of specific cultures and individuals, along with the practices and beliefs of society as a whole.

1 comment:

  1. Tori,
    Dream studies and how society interprets them are very interesting. I had thought about how different psychologist view the study of dreams, but had never considered how different religions might view dream studies. Will you be focusing on one or two cultures specifically, or will you do a more broad overview of dream studies worldwide? It sounds like you off to a great start, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete