Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A curious concoction of crazy logic

   Like most of us, I carry an interesting set of moral and ethical beliefs which stem from my education, experiences, and family life. Unlike the ethical philosopher quiz might suggest, I think that none of us fit entirely within the ideas of a single philosopher, but rather we take aspects from each to create our own unique set of beliefs.
   Albeit the quiz said I was 100% matched to Hume and Sartre, I also believe in the validity of statements from each philosopher in the quiz. From Aristotle's thoughts on action to receive virtue, to Rousseau's ideas about society, I can find grains of useful guidance within each. Each philosopher brings a new, enlightened point-of-view that  can be learned from.
   Although I do find bits and pieces of each that make up my philosophy on ethical and moral behavior, I do find myself generally associating with the ideas highlighted by the skeptics, empiricists, and relativists. These groups describe how our own morality and perceptions are influenced only by the environment and society around us. Once we have said perceptions, they are not necessarily true for society, but they are to us as individuals.
   By aligning myself with these groups and adding in a very Nietzsche-like Satanist attitude for selfishness, I complete my ethical code. With this code, I can make my moral decisions, usually focused on what will suit me best without making everyone else's lives considerably different or worse.

5 comments:

  1. Nick,
    I think it is vital, when looking at ethics and morality, to recognize that we all have unique beliefs and perceptions of what is good, what is bad, etc. I think that you are spot on when you said that when you make moral decisions, it is what you personally think will not affect anyone else. I see this as true. Isn't it true when we have children or spend money on something we've been wanting forever? Those are both terrible examples, but in both, we are making conscious decisions to do something, having the idea that it will not hurt or hinder another. I also agree with you when you mentioned how our morality and perceptions are highly influenced by those around us, society, our family, etc. Our moral values are always what we perceive to be right, but not necessarily others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby, First I really appreciate everything you said and I think it is very insightful. However please stop degrading your thoughts! It drives me crazy how you say something and then almost apologize for it. Those are not terrible examples Abby!

      Delete
  2. Nick,
    My favorite part of this assignment has been not only looking at the beliefs but also where they come from. I too agree that beliefs are made up of a combination of ideas and experiences. Although we have opposite matches on philosophers we have ideas and thoughts on the way ideas develop in common.

    However on the topic of decision making I would argue with you. Every decision you make effects other people, so can you make a decision that doesn't? Personally I feel I sometimes put too much stock in how my choices effect others but isn't that part of living in a community? Making choices for the greater good?

    Overall I think it's interesting that we have such similar beliefs about the effect of experiences and society on creating a multidimensional system of morals and ethics. From that I find it curious how different our own beliefs are, given the similarities in our upbringing and societies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick,
    I have to say that I'm with Lil on the whole decision making topic. I feel as though people do make selfish and greedy decisions every now and then (I'm guilty of it, I know) but there are always times when people make decisions for the greater good. And even if a person decides to make a decision based on what will suit them best, they still consider how their decision could affect their friends, family, and community. I'm all for the idea of focusing on yourself, but I don't think actions or decision making can ever be entirely self-centered, or selfless for that matter. However, I do think the rest of your post is spot on... you really have that "self analysis" thing down to a science. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete