Thursday, April 2, 2015

Environmental Philosophy

Having read the books Animals Like Us and Ishmael, my opinion on the relationship between humans and nature has drastically changed. So many things have been brought to my attention that I would have previously never even imagined. This book, Ishmael, opened up my eyes to so many new perspectives. In case it is unknown, Ishmael is the name of a gorilla who, throughout the book, opens the eyes of the narrator through the process of telepathy. Ishmael explains how humans are divided into two groups: Leavers and Takers. Ishmael explains to the narrator how various cultures have shaped over the years, and how the relationship between man and nature has changed.

I am very excited to begin this paper. I feel as though my perspective on human life has been drastically altered by these two books in numerous ways. I have no specific direction for my paper yet, however, I am hoping to begin a general outline so that I may get a better idea of where I want to go. I am also reviewing other blog posts I'm hopes to get inspiration. Right now I think that I'm too fascinated by all of these new ideas and I have to keep reminding myself to focus on the essay! Though I know that I'll be able to work out a good outline soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. Zoe, we have such similar topics for this research paper and I had no idea! I have read to A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson and Walden by Thoreau. We should definitely communicate more so perhaps we could offer each other a little more insight on what direction to take our respective papers in. I am just excited about my topic as you are with yours, but unfortunately clueless on how I want to make my project turn out. Nevertheless, I look forward to reading your paper even more now knowing it is rooted so close to mine.

    ReplyDelete