Sunday, April 5, 2015

A Guide to Jewish Prayer


    For my second book, I decided to read A Guide to Jewish Prayer by Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz. This book is everything someone needs to know about the principles and rituals of Jewish prayer. I decided to read this book because there is a chapter that specifically talks about the music of prayer. This part was the main reason why I choose the book. I really liked that section because it explained that the original melodies of Jewish songs are unknown or have been changed because of many reasons. Steinsaltz also talked about the different subgroups of Jews which depends on where the Jewish descendants are originally from. Each subgroup has its own culture, traditions, and tunes of music. Steinsaltz also talked about how some temples around the world have similar/recognizable tunes which could contribute to the original tunes of many prayers

No comments:

Post a Comment