Sunday, April 12, 2015

Archetypes and Personality Traits

My topic over the past few months has evolved from humanistic psychology to psychoanalysis, to how dream analysis and using the archetypes and their meanings to draw on the rituals and myths seen in cultures. I expanded my search after I had sat down with Mrs. Chapman, asking for advice and guidance, and she suggested the idea of using these archetypes and leading them into the personality traits of a culture as an individual. This diverted my research away from the idea of psychoanalysis as a whole and more into dream analysis and the ideas of Carl Jung, as he is the major figure in the concept of archetypes today. I’m continuing my research further in reading books on personality as well as a more in-depth analysis of the archetypes universally known and the archetypes within given cultures. With the idea of using archetypes and symbols in my research of cultures and their development of personality traits, I'm curious to see even where this will take me, as ideas and paths taken to write are always changing. I’m thankful that I’m currently in psychology, as it has helped my research and the development of my topic and that I’ve able to use the resources I have learned and can apply them to the cultural aspects of myth and rituals that give a culture its personality. 

3 comments:

  1. Tori,

    Your topic sounds even more interesting than when I read your thesis statement! I am curious as to how you are going to identify individual cultures through archetypes, which to my understanding, have somewhat universal qualities. Are you going to be looking at the difference in common archetypes in regards to comparing different cultures? You close your blog mentioning how the parts of myth and ritual that are associated with culture actually define the "personality" of culture. I'm wondering if myth and ritual are entirely associated with culture, and not merely somewhat associated. The most intriguing part yet has to do with your emphasis on personifying culture. I think that is a very unique approach and would love to see how that will develop in your paper! Good work so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your topic has changed quite a bit, and I think it is really good that you have one person to focus on. I think your paper will be very strong based on this blog and the ideas I have discussed with you. I think you have a good hold on your topic and know what you need to do to make it the best it can be. How are you tying dreams, myth and rituals into your topic? Are you using them as examples of archetypes throughout cultures? I am excited to see what you come up with, especially since this topic ties so many different things together, from psychology to history and religion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tori,
    I think this is a really fascinating topic that pairs all of the different areas together. Its interesting how culture effects our archetypes. You seem to have a common strand of archetypes with Taylor. However you are both looking at them from a different perspective. I'm wondering which cultures you are looking at because of the mixed culture of America. It would be interesting to see how our mixed culture effects our archetypes. It seems that you have a good handle on what you need to do in order to complete you paper and I am impressed by the amount you have read thus far.

    ReplyDelete