Tuesday, April 14, 2015

RP Blog Post 4: Humans and Nature


Since the beginning of this research project, the course of my paper has changed a great deal. Initially I wanted to focus my paper on how humans should or shouldn't act with or within the natural world, so I found that the topic of “Environmental Ethics” would be an appropriate topic to start with. As I read Walden by Henry David Thoreau for a second time for this paper, I interpreted it differently than the first time I read it. When I closed the book, I decided to change my topic into what it is now,  “Humanity’s Relationship with Nature”. 
Reading Walden and A Walk In The Woods gave me a new perspective on how I view nature and the human race. They can be compared as two separate entities, but humans are truly just a very evolved form of the primitive nature that they build buildings, farms, and whole cities in. Through even my early research, I saw how humans typically act in nature, and how they feel separated from it. Just in the last few thousand years ago humans have evolved from beings who were reliant on nature, to beings that have lost their primal instincts through becoming civilized. I have learned a lot from my research so far, and some of it has even changed how I think about myself and my personal relationship with nature.Unfortunately,  I have yet to make as many conclusions as personal revelations with nature. I am sure that in my paper I will not only show that humans have become distant from nature, but why and how as well. I look forward to putting everything together and being able to show my interests and findings in this topic.

2 comments:

  1. Anthony,
    I was surprised to find out that you read Walden again! That book was very difficult for me to understand. I think it's great tha learning so much about your topic & allowing it to influence your life. I know that our topics are very similar, which requires me to understand what you are writing about so that I won't come too close to your topic. I think that there will be enough distance with our topics because you're focusing on humans and nature, while I'm focusing on humans & animals. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anthony,
    I think you have a really strong topic here. It is a good topic to choose, as you can use all the materials we've used in class and all the topics we have discussed in class in order to form a well done, thorough paper. Since it is supposed to be a research paper, should you include your own experiences and perspectives on human's relationship with nature? Or should you provide enough evidence so other's can form their own opinion? Just a thought, but either way I think you will be able to create a good research paper because of the books you've read and all the material you've been exposed to.

    ReplyDelete