Thursday, April 2, 2015

Henrietta Lacks

I'm currently in the process of finishing The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, a non-fiction book about a woman named Henrietta Lacks who's cancerous tissue is taken without consent and used for stem cell research. Henrietta's cells are some of the first cells taken from a human to actually survive.  These cells have flourished and reproduced.  They have been key in the development of stem cell research and have been used by scientists all over the world.  Even though her cells have helped make some of the most crucial medical developments in modern history, there is still controversy surrounding the situation.  This book outlines the story from the side of Henrietta's family, and elaborates on the ethics surrounding stem cell research.


I will be using the facts and information presented in this book and my first book to help focus my paper on the ethics surrounding stem cell research.  In the near future, I will try to narrow the focus of my paper down to the religious controversy of stem cell research.  I also want to specifically focus on embryonic stem cell research, as there is a lot of religious debate on the topic.

5 comments:

  1. Cate,
    I'm actually really excited about your topic. I feel as though the story of Henrietta Lacks will help you make a really strong argument in your research paper. It provides an actual story of the controversy behind stem cell research, but it also shows the benefits of stem cell research as well. I also think that you have a nice and thoughtful focus for your paper. You could do a lot with the ethics/religious debates behind embryonic stem cell research, and I'm really looking forward to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cate, I like that you are referencing a specific story related to your story and not just factual resources on the topic. This is especially important because your paper is about ethics, and so real life opinions from people who have personal experiences with stem cell research will be beneficial. It is interesting that you are taking a religious spin on this because that is truly where most of the controversy lies. I'm sure you will, but I urge you to take an unbiased approach at your topic, since both sides deserve to be argued!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cate,
    It seems like this book is a perfect book for your topic. The taking of cells without one's consent is a very controversial topic and this book gives you a nonfiction account of it. Should the doctors have been allowed to take her cells? Even more controversial, should they have been able to multiply the cells enough to create 20 tons? These are some essential questions for modern medical ethics. I think that you are on a great start to your paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cate,
    I am incredibly interested in your topic of research. I would imagine the book is very thought-provoking. Though the taking of Henrietta's cells helped many people, it violates many ethical and moral opinions. I love that you are connecting this moral dilemma with the scientific research of stem cells. An interesting suggestions, maybe think about viewing the situation from the doctors point of view as well? Your paper has great potential!

    ReplyDelete