Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Indie Music Revolution

 I absolutely adore everything Indie culture has to offer society. This culture is known as an "underground lifestyle trend", but there's so much more to it than that. When most people hear the word "indie" they think of a "hipster" reading a book at a local coffee shop, but that's not what the culture itself really is. The culture is defined by it's creativity. You have indie films, indie literature, indie style, and indie music. Each of these categories acts as a "sub-genre" to the whole culture and they're all powerful enough to stand on their own.

 Seeing as I love and identify with indie music it only makes sense for me research it. Weather I'm listening to the punky, upbeat songs of the newly reformed girl group, Sleater-Kinney, or winding down to the beautifully unique sound of San Fermin, I always end up feeling connected to what I'm listening to. This music means something to the people that create it. These artists put their heart and soul into every lyric they write, every melody they play, and every note that flows from their mouths. This music has personality and it deserves to be written about by someone who cares about it. I only hope I can do it justice. 

1 comment:

  1. This topic already has me hooked! You are obviously very passionate about Indie culture and you seem to have a very strong connection to it. It might be interesting to see how the growth of Indie culture has impacted our "mainstream" culture. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete