Thursday, February 19, 2015

Shakespeare's Hamlet

       Over the summer, I became increasingly interested in Shakespeare and his works, namely Hamlet. My love for theatre and my curiosity for the mind behind some of my favorite theatrical works has led me to choose to write about Shakespeare, in particular, Hamlet. I hope to touch on the philosophy that Shakespeare incorporates into Hamlet and how it affects Hamlet's actions (i.e. killing Polonius and pretending to go insane for the sake of killing his uncle). Personally, I am fascinated with the ideas behind the plays that Shakespeare has written. By exploring one of his best and well-known works, I hope to learn more about him and his view of life, death, love, and the human condition. 
    I think that it is an important aspect of art, whether that be visual, performing, or written, to explore and understand the meaning behind it. By understanding the meaning, we can better understand the uniqueness of each and every one of us and the incredible brains that we humans possess. I am excited to focus on answering that question while also researching one of my favorite writers!
       

1 comment:

  1. Abby,
    I would agree that Hamlet is an important work, and consider it one of the most iconic works of Shakespeare. What are you looking for in your writing? Are you looking to analyze how the play was put together? What philosophies are repeated in the play? Also, I noticed that your topic is Hamlet, but you mentioned that you would like to learn more about Shakespeare and his views and opinions. Are you sure that you want to analyze Hamlet and not Shakespeare himself, referencing Hamlet? Perhaps a guiding point could be connecting the life and experiences of Hamlet to those of Shakespeare, and explore how an individual's identity imprints itself on his or her writings. I wish you good luck and look forward to hearing more about your topic as you begin to make it more specific.

    ReplyDelete