Thursday, February 19, 2015

Magic in Western Culture

Magic is both taboo and mysteriously alluring in western civilizations. I'm considering exploring how magic is both rejected and sought after and the institutions that are associated with each opinion. Also, there is the fact that magic can be considered the twin to religion, magic giving humans the ability to perform feats that are the providence of deities, and religion considering the deities the sole beings that can perform fantastical feats. The historical enmity between the two continue to even the present day. The final branch I am considering lies in the progression of magic, from sorcerers a thousand years ago to witchcraft to magic tricks. The exact branch my paper will be on will include magic in both historical venues and in recent times.

2 comments:

  1. Jacob,
    This topic sounds awesome. I agree that in modern times there is animosity between magic and religion. I also think it would be cool to look into the fact that in past times religious figures and figures in power were almost believed to be able to do magical acts. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacob,
    I find your topic particularly intriguing as I am studying the divide between religion and science something that is overwhelmingly influenced by the existence of magic. You have so many options when it comes to this topic and I'm curious to see where it leads but I would suggest taking a look at other cultures that still have magic and compare it to our own which seems to be rejecting magic in every aspect of life.

    ReplyDelete