Thursday, February 12, 2015

EC: The Riddle?

I found The Riddle of the Human Species a bit contradictory. I found it contradictory because of Mr. Wilson's strong opinion of human nature - the idea that our development is owed to our changed diet and that our humanity is solely based on evolution. I think that this is an opinion. Evolution is based on factual evidence, yes, but it is also a theory and there is an element of belief within it. If it were 100% factual, everyone would take it as gospel and there would not be any different theories/stories/myths on creation and the purpose of humankind. That being said, I believe that Mr. Wilson's article proved many points regarding the development of humankind and the science behind our species.

At the end of the article, Mr. Wilson says that it "is dangerous to think of this planet as a way station to a better world...". Part of what makes us human is our ability to query and ponder the meaning of this life, where we came from, and where we are going. By stating this, I believe that he is completely disregarding religions that incorporate the belief that this world is not all that there is for us humans - that after this life, we will go to paradise, or whatever form of afterlife said religions choose to adopt. In order to understand development from a scientific viewpoint, you must understand why people are the way they are and what has caused them to be so. By disregarding religion and belief systems incorporating the divine, etc, you are disregarding an aspect of research that can further that understanding. Believe it or not, we did not just suddenly appear with an innate sense of a higher power. There are reasons for why we worship, long for, and have reverence for supreme beings/the divine.

I personally was a bit offended by this article. The way that Mr. Wilson paints those who are religious, makes us sound as if we are incompetent and less-than to those who believe in pure science. I believe in God and the creation of the universe and humankind that is outlined in the Bible. I also look at science and appreciate it, believing that it is grounded in truth - there are many aspects of science that match up with my beliefs and further cause me to appreciate and practice my own faith. There is something to be said about what makes us human, what makes us unique. I think that Mr. Wilson neglected to acknowledge that religion, to name one aspect, is what sets us apart from animals. By better understanding this, as I mentioned, I believe that we can further explore the early development of human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment