Thursday, February 19, 2015

History of Rock Music

Rock has forever been my favorite genre of music. I guess it's probably because my parents exposed me constantly to it at a young age, but overexposure can often cause one to become bored. Needless to say, rock music has never bored me. I have a fascination with it, and not only the music itself, but also the culture that surrounds it and the amazingly unique personalities it has fostered over the years. The amazing variety of music that is encompassed by the term "rock" is also a draw for me, and the reason that I can so easily say that rock is my favorite? Practically any classic song has at least some element of rock in it. The difficult part for me will be narrowing it down enough to write a strong paper that includes logical connections to the world of humanities.

I intend to focus on American rock music, specifically hard rock, although I will be the first to admit that many of the genre's strongest groups were from other countries. The culture around rock is possibly more fascinating than even the music itself is. The most interesting thing to me about hard rock may be how exactly it went out of style. How did such an amazing movement go in and then out of style so quickly? Sure there may be aspects of hard rock still alive in today's music, but it is nothing close to what it once was in the glory days. I think that that may be a good starting point for my research, not to focus on the genre itself as much as how and why it died out.

1 comment:

  1. Delaney,
    I think that focusing on American rock will be tough, but if you have the right sources I don't think it'll be impossible. Maybe you can focus on the stories of how a few American bands got their start and how they made an impact on the culture. I dont know what era of rock you want to focus on, but I know there are some great books on The Doors, Kiss, and Metallica out there. Based on that, another smaller topic you could look into can be how rock culture changed throughout time. I'm fully aware that The Doors and Metallica have two completely different sounds but they're both classified as rock groups, so maybe you can discuss why the changes in the sound came about. I also found a website that has a *ton* of music culture related books that might help you, so I'll post the link below. Good Luck!
    http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/7967-words-and-music-our-60-favorite-music-books/

    ReplyDelete