Thursday, February 19, 2015

Hinduism

        I chose the topic of Hinduism for my research project because I have always been fascinated by the culture that surrounds it. The Hindus of India and surrounding areas have such a unique way of looking at life and what it means to be a human being;  the idea of rebirth and reincarnation, which is a hard concept for western nations to fully understand. Indian society is built upon Hinduism, and unlike most people in the Western world, it affects their life on a day to day basis.


          I became particularly interested in the topic while learning about India in Advanced World Cultures last semester, but I could only learn an overview of the religion and its beliefs. I want to learn more and expand my knowledge of a religion so different from Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. Through the project, I hope to learn and comprehend the religion; rituals, ceremonies, and the intricate details around Hindu beliefs.

2 comments:

  1. Alex,

    I really like how you are doing Hinduism for your research paper. I loved learning about it in WP2, and I am interested to see what books you will be reading and what approach you will take to construct this paper and how you will narrow it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex,
    I also find different religions and the way they are incorporated into the lives of those practicing them to be fascinating. Hinduism will be an interesting one to look at as it is so very different from many of the religions we are accustom to. I would suggest specifically looking at the way the concept of reincarnation affects how people live their lives. There is no idea that you only live once and that puts a very different stress on what is important.

    ReplyDelete