Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Myth

I have always been fascinated by mythology. Specifically, Greek Mythology has almost always been a passion of mine. I remember in elementary school the librarian let me get mythology books out of a section we weren’t allowed to go in. It started out as just another story- I learned about the characters, what they stood for, and what their histories were. But as I grew older I began to really understand the meaning behind them. People had actually believed in these Gods and relied on them in daily life. From there I began exploring other mythologies, specifically Native American and Hinduism.
It’s no secret that almost all mythologies have similarities. Most have a mother goddess, a trickster god, and a creation myth. I hope to explore one of these topics. I want to research a parallel between many cultures through their myths, and perhaps why such parallels can be found. Currently I am leaning toward the sky gods. In ancient cultures people had to use gods to explain the celestial bodies and the cycles they observed in the sky. The heavens have always fascinated humanity and I would like to explore the world’s stories about the sun, moon, and stars.

1 comment:

  1. Taylor-
    I really enjoy the topic you have chosen! I definitely think it would be interesting if you went in depth about one particular subject (such as sky gods which you have already mentioned). I can see a lot of potential with this subject, and I really think that if you truly experience the myths yourself you will be able to write an amazing paper! I'm definitely interested in reading it! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete