Thursday, May 14, 2015

An Insight on Suffering

While reading Gilgamesh and The Story of Job I developed a two piece idea of what it means to suffer. I feel as though suffering is one of the most selfish things human beings do, but if they keep hold of their struggles, only good things will come of them. By observing the actions of Gilgamesh and Job, and reflecting on my own experiences with suffering, I've been able to come to this conclusion.

Gilgamesh portrays a selfish sufferer that uses his friend's death as a justification to worry about his own mortality. While reflecting on my own experiences with death and grieving, I noticed that my reactions are very similar to those of Gilgamesh. Gilgamesh takes his negative emotions about his friend's death and channels them into something he can focus on, which is his quest to find immortality. Many humans take their grief and centralize it in another direction so they can focus on something else. This makes it possible for them to ignore the suffering that comes along with their pain and grief. I find this as a selfish, but necessary thing to do. It provides as a distraction for unwanted emotions, and somehow makes it easier to deal with them. By disregarding the main source of suffering, humans display a sense of  selfishness in order to cope with their feelings.

Job displays how staying true to yourself while going through a time of grief and suffering can ultimately reward a person in the long run. If a person deals with their suffering and holds true to their beliefs and stays away from sin, they will be rewarded with good health and a good life. Suffering is only temporary, and once it is fully experienced and overcome a person will be able to live a life full of happiness and success. Everyone must suffer, but it is a matter of overcoming suffering and staying positive during hard times that determines who will live a happier life in the long run. Ultimately, the key to overcoming suffering and grief is to stay positive and focus on the outcome.

7 comments:

  1. I think it is very interesting that you consider mourning to be selfish. I see where you're coming from, but I have to disagree. In my opinion for something to be selfish it should be premeditated, purposeful, and or harmful to others. By that definition, mourning over someone's death would not be selfish because it is not controlled by the person feeling it.
    Nice points!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabby,
    You have a very interesting perspective on suffering. Admittedly, I've never thought of it as being selfish. However, if suffering is part of human nature, would that make job selfish for indulging in his suffering? By the same token, Gilgamesh's acceptance of his mortality gives him similar qualities to job. I think that to be human is, in fact, to sin, therefore we suffer and we become the best versions of ourselves. Very thought provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gabby,
    You have a very interesting perspective on suffering. Admittedly, I've never thought of it as being selfish. However, if suffering is part of human nature, would that make job selfish for indulging in his suffering? By the same token, Gilgamesh's acceptance of his mortality gives him similar qualities to job. I think that to be human is, in fact, to sin, therefore we suffer and we become the best versions of ourselves. Very thought provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is intriguing to me that you consider suffering to be selfish - I never even thought of suffering as a state which we as humans could control. As I read this, I wondered the same thing as Jacob: If suffering is selfish, then what does that make Job? And if Job is indeed selfish, then how does that change the prescriptive meaning of The Book of Job? I must agree with you, embracing our struggles certainly helps us to grow as humans, especially from an integrity standpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gabby,
    I find your perspective on suffering very unique. I found your statement that disregarding the source of suffering was an action that made a person selfish, particularly interesting. I personally think that the person who is in mourning is not being selfish to try and distract themselves from the pain. I think it is the opposite, they are choosing to continue with their lives and not disregard the other people they know, simply because of their own pain. You made some very interesting points and I appreciated how much this post made me think! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree with how humans suffer in grief. Often we also make grief personal, as in we are sad because the person is missing to us. Not because the person who is lost or died is suffering. In reality, greif of loss is selfish. In many ways, the person who is dead is then not benefitting us. We are upset that the loss is not benefitting us, not that the loss is befitting the person who is dead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gabby,

    I find your point on how suffering is selfish very interesting, and I have to disagree. I believe everyone has the right to suffer and they shouldn't be called selfish if they're going through hardship. Yes, everyone goes through hardships, but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't be able to grieve. You say good things will come if people keep hold of their struggles, which, in my opinion, isn't always true. I agree that people should always hold true to their beliefs regardless of what happens to them, but how does that relate to suffering and how does that back up your point that suffering is selfish?

    ReplyDelete